Guard - Dance, flags, rifles, etc performed on the gym floor to music. South Lyon Winter Guard (SLWG) is competing for the first time in many years.
Percussion - "Battery" percussion (snare, bass, quad) march on the gym floor, and pit of percussion instruments play with them.
South Lyon Percussion (SLP) has a long history, but after a break they are competing for their 4th year in a row.
Often see students that are doing guard and percussion for the first time.
South Lyon combines both high schools to create South Lyon Guard, and South Lyon Percussion.
Hosting a Show
Hosting Hospitality - hosting a show is all about making the experience for the students, MCGC, and guests a great one. We want units to want to come back to our show.
Who will come to our show? We will not know numbers until 3 weeks before the show. Based on timing, we could see 25-40 units.
What will this cost us? Overall we will make money at this, mainly from ticket sales and concessions. But there are costs:
Hosting fee: $1500 (pays judges, etc)
Judges: Transportation from airport and hotels (if needed.), meals.
Awards: We buy all awards.
Misc: food, stamps, printing, signs, caution tape, paper, etc.
- Late January - End of March
- Shows can see 15 - 60 units performing in one day.
- Units bring their own tarps to put on the gym floor.
- Each unit has a timed performance similar to marching band.
- There are several unit classes that are used - more than marching band.
- You only compete against those in your class.
- Each performance is judged and scored 0-100.
- A unit typically does 4-7 shows including state finals at Saginaw Valley.
Why Host A Show?
- Great way to show our support to the students and the program - someone has to host the shows!
- This is a money making activity for the booster program.
Typical Unit Show Day
8:40am Arrive at CMS
9:00am Rehearsal begins
10:40am Final Run Through
10:45am Load Trailers/Eat
11:15am Depart for Novi High School
11:45am Arrive at Novi High School
11:50am Unload trailers
12:15pm Return to home room/Change into uniform
12:55pm Move to equipment/warm up
1:11pm Warm Up Begins
1:29pm Warm Up Ends/Move to ready line
1:35pm Ready Line
1:53pm Load Equipment/Return to Home Room
2:15pm Change out of uniform
2:30pm Return to gym to watch Open and World Class
3:36pm Awards--Depart for CMS following percussion awards
4:30(ish) Arrive at CMS